The UNICEF Internship Programme offers eligible/qualified students at both Headquarters and country offices the opportunity to acquire direct practical experience in UNICEF’s work under the direct supervision of experienced UNICEF staff.
Internships are offered depending on the availability of meaningful assignments and the needs and capacity of units/offices to receive and supervise interns.
Areas of work
UNICEF is active in various functional areas related to its mandate, which can be categorized in three main pillars: Programme and Policy, External Relations and Operations.
- Finance and Administration
- Human Resource
- Internal Audit Managemen
- Information Communication Technology
- Operations and Business Managemen
- Supply / Logistics
At the time the applicant would like to start the internship with UNICEF,
- He/she will be enrolled in a graduate (Master’s) degree or undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree; and
- He/she will have completed at least two years of full-time studies towards completion of my undergraduate degree.
- The applicant will need to have an excellent academic performance and can demonstrate it by his/her recent university or other academic institution records.
- The applicant must be proficient in at least one of UNICEF’s working languages (English, French or Spanish) and fluent in the working language of the office she/he is interested to work in.
To keep in mind
Even if you meet these qualifications, there is no guarantee of placement. Qualified candidates will be placed in UNICEFs Internship database which is accessed by UNICEF managers globally. If you are applying for more than one location, the online application will allow you to choose the New York Headquarters location as well as up to three other field locations outside New York. If an exciting opportunity matching to your profile and interests arise, you will be contacted directly.
Internships with UN are an unpaid period during the whole placement.
How to apply
To be eligible for an internship with UNICEF, you have to apply to its internship database. When completing your application, you will be asked to indicate:
- A time period in the current year when you are available to start your internship,
- Your preferred functional areas; and
- The location you would like to be considered for.
Please make sure to always keep the information in your profile up-to-date, as the database is being refreshed every year.
The duration of an internship with UNICEF is between six weeks and six months.
Please visit the following link to see all the requirements in detail and start the application: http://jobs.unicef.org/cw/en-us/job/494502/unicef-internship-programme-2016-generic-vacancy-announcement